Are you looking for a healthier way to enjoy delicious peppermint hot chocolate during the holiday season? We often default to using hot chocolate packets from the store, not realizing that they're not good for our health. This dairy-free peppermint hot chocolate made with peppermint extract, cacao powder, collagen, kosher salt and maple syrup is a healthier choice for several reasons.
First, by eliminating dairy, it becomes a great option for those who are lactose intolerant or have dairy allergies, while still providing amazing flavor. Additionally, dairy products are often high in saturated fat and cholesterol, whereas this dairy-free alternative is naturally low in fat and cholesterol-free. Peppermint extract provides a natural, refreshing holiday flavor without the need for artificial sweeteners, contributing to a healthier drink. Cacao powder is rich in antioxidants, which have been linked to various health benefits, including improved heart health and reduced inflammation. It also contains fiber, which helps support healthier and easier digestion. Renewed Health’s collagen gives your hot chocolate some protein while also packing it with essential vitamins and minerals. Believe it or not, adding salt to your hot chocolate actually has great health benefits. Salt helps the body to retain water, so when added it can help to keep your body hydrated. It is also a great source of essential electrolytes such as sodium and chloride, so it also aids with maintaining electrolyte balance in the body. Lastly, unlike refined sugar, using maple syrup as a sweetener adds a touch of natural sweetness while offering essential minerals like manganese and zinc. Overall, this dairy-free peppermint hot chocolate provides a great-tasting, healthier alternative for those looking to enjoy a warm and comforting beverage during the holiday season and cold winter months.
- 2 cups of dairy free milk
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 scoop of Renewed Health’s Collagen
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ⅛ -¼ tsp of peppermint extract (adjust according to taste)
- ¼ tsp of kosher salt
- ¼ cup of dark chocolate chips or chocolate bar
- 1 ½ tbsp of maple syrup
- Optional: serve with dairy free whipped cream, dairy free marshmallows, crushed candy canes and shaved chocolate
- Warm up the milk and whisk in the cacao powder. Add all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips, collagen and maple syrup into a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk is steaming but not simmering or boiling.
- Once the milk is warm, add the collagen and then chocolate chips and continue to whisk until melted and mixed thoroughly.
- Sweeten with the maple syrup. If more sweetness is desired, add more to taste.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!